Once again, it is Tax Season and we are getting prepared for the 2017 filing season. Let’s get organized! Here are some deadlines and timelines:
- Client organizers are no longer emailed. You can now download an organizer from our website at any time by visiting our ShareFile Portal!
- The organizer now comes as a “fillable” PDF form – no more passwords or usernames required! Simply follow one of the tutorials located in our ShareFile Portal to get started with your new Organizer.
- Don’t want to fill out an organizer? No Problem! Just provide us with the documents listed in the Tax Prep Checklist and we’ll be able to get started on your return.
- If you need any help with organization, please check the Form and Links for worksheets that may help you get organized.
Due by January 15, 2018 (in order to guarantee timely filing)
- If you paid anyone for services in excess of $600 this year for your business, you are required to issue them a 1099-MISC. Included in this group would be any independent contractors used for your business or rental property, child care providers you pay directly and home health providers. The exceptions: the person you paid is a corporation, or you paid anyone with a credit card, you are not required to send a 1099-MISC.
- If you paid attorneys for business purposes in 2017, you must issue a 1099-MISC for any payment.
- If you paid interest to someone that has loaned you money (even a family member) you should issue them a 1099-INT and, if it is for a home loan, they can issue you back a 1098.
- We would be happy to help. Fill out the 1099 Issuance worksheet and get it to us, either as an attachment or a fax. We will send them out to the recipients and file the form electronically. The fee is $30 per 1099 (charge increases to $60 after January 15th).
We will need signed engagement letters from all of our clients this year. A 2017 letter is included with your organizer and we have them available here at the office. You can also download a generic engagement letter on our Form and Links page.
Electronic Filing of Individual Returns begins approximately January 20, 2018
There are several forms that are delayed and filing of those forms will become available as they are approved by the IRS.
Partnership and S-Corporation Tax Returns are due on March 15, 2018.
- We need to have your information by February 15, 2018 in order to ensure a timely filed return. Otherwise, please contact us to put you on extension. Extension requests must be received in writing no later than March 9, 2018.
Individual, Fiduciary, and Estate (1041) Returns are due on April 17, 2018
- In order to ensure a timely filed return, we need your information no later than March 9, 2018. Otherwise, please contact us to put you on extension. Extension requests must be received in writing no later than April 9, 2018.
Deadlines for Returns Placed on Extension
In order to ensure that your extended return is prepared in a timely fashion, please be aware of the deadlines for document submission, as well as the actual filing deadlines.
- S-Corporations and Partnerships: Documents must be received no later than 8/31/2018, in order to help ensure that your return is filed by the 9/17/2018 deadline.
- Fiduciary / Estates: Documents must be received no later than 8/31/2018, in order to help ensure that your return is filed by the 10/1/2018 deadline.
- Individuals: Documents must be received no later than 9/7/2018, in order to help ensure that your return is filed by the 10/15/2018 deadline.