Once again, it is Tax Season and we are getting prepared for the 2016 filing season. Let’s get organized! Here are some deadlines and timelines:

Client Organizers

Third Week of January 2017

  • We will begin sending client organizers out on January 20, 2017. You will receive an email with instructions on accessing the organizer through our secure portal. If you would prefer your organizer on paper, just let us know and we will send one out to you.
  • If you are new to us this year … Welcome! We can create an organizer for you based on your 2015 return or you can just follow the Tax Prep Checklist.
  • If you need any help with organization, please check the Form and Links for worksheets that may help you get organized.

Issuing 1099s

Due by January 15, 2017 (or additional charges may apply)

  • If you paid anyone for services in excess of $600 this year for your business, you are required to issue them a 1099-MISC. Included in this group would be any independent contractors used for your business or rental property, child care providers you pay directly and home health providers. The exceptions: the person you paid is a corporation, or you paid anyone with a credit card, you are not required to send a 1099-MISC.
  • If you paid attorneys in 2016, you must issue a 1099-MISC for any payment.
  • If you paid interest to someone that has loaned you money (The Bank of Dad?) you should issue them a 1099-INT and, if it is for a home loan, they can issue you back a 1098.
  • We would be happy to help. Fill out the 1099 Issuance worksheet and get it to us, either as an attachment or a fax. We will send them out to the recipients and file the form electronically. The fee is $30 per 1099 (charge increases to $60 after January 15th).

Engagement Letters

We will need signed engagement letters from all of our clients this year. A 2016 letter is included with your organizer and we have them available here at the office. You can also download a generic engagement letter on our Form and Links page.

Electronic Filing of Individual Returns begins approximately January 20, 2017

There are several forms that are delayed and filing of those forms will become available as they are approved by the IRS.

Partnership and S-Corporation Tax Returns are due on March 15, 2017

  • We need to have your information by February 15, 2017 in order to ensure a timely filed return. Otherwise, please contact us to put you on extension.  Extension requests must be received in writing no later than March 10, 2017.

Individual, Fiduciary, and Estate (1041) Returns are due on April 18, 2017

  • In order to ensure a timely filed return, we need your information no later than March 10, 2017. Otherwise, please contact us to put you on extension.  Extension requests must be received in writing no later than April 10, 2017.